Health & Sanitation Profile Of Srizony Foundation
Since the inception of Srizony Foundation from 1985, Heath related activities have been implemented in the program intervention area as taking financial and technical support from various Donors and GoB authorities. Health for all is the mission of Srizony Foundation in the health arena. Srizony Foundation has a good reputation both from GoB and Donor by implementing health related activities in the intervention area. Srizony Foundation has been implementing health program from the year since 1992.
Srizony Foundation has been implementing the health and sanitation programs since 1992.
Program and Project for the last five:
No. of Beneficiaries
|Environmental Sanitation Hygiene and Water Supply in Rural Areas (GoB-Unicef)||
|National Nutrition Project (NNP)|
|Second Urban Primary Health Care Project (UPHCP-II)||
Community people in the pourashava area
|Sadar, Kaligonj, Harinakundu, Sailkupa, Moheshpur,
|Safe Water and Sanitation Program||
|Sadar, Kaligonj, Harinakundu, Sailkupa, Moheshpur, Kotchandpur||
|Arsenic Mitigation Project||
Health and Sanitation Projects of Srizony Foundation:
Urban Primary Health Care Service Delivery Project (UPHCSDP)
Srizony Foundation implementing this project in Barisal City Corporation and Kushtia Municipality with the financial assistance from ADB, UNFPA, SIDA and GOB through the Urban Primary Health Care Services Delivery Project (UPHCSDP) from January 2013 and to be completed December 2017. Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives (MOLGRD&C) directly monitoring the project. In Barisal City Corporation there is 4 Primary Health Care Center (PHCC) and 1 Comprehensive Reproductive Health Care Center (CRHCC). The project main components are:
- Antenatal Care
- Postnatal Care
- Neonatal Care
- Normal & Cesarean Delivery
- Limited Curative Care
- Family Planning
- Communicable Disease control
- Clinical & Waste Management issues
- Diagnostic Service
- Ambulance Service
- RTI/ STI
- Behavior Change Communication (BCC)
- Prevent Violence against Women
Improvement Health and Population for The Less Advantaged (IHPLA):
Srizony Foundation have been implementing this project since 1994 by the technical and financial support of BPHC(DFID) .Now the project covered 83 villages of 18 union at Jhenaidah Sadar and Kaligonj upazila in Jhenaidah district. A total of 48 full time staffs have been involved to implement the project.
1.1 Major components of the project are:
Reproductive Health Care;
Child Health Care;
Communicable Disease control;
Limited Curative Care; and
Behavior Change Communication (BCC).
1.2 The following services have been providing through the IHPLA project:
Organized Satellite clinic.
Covered at-least 2 ANC
Referred risk pregnant mothers to concern clinic and Hospital
Provided knowledge about risk sign of pregnancy
Increased clinical method.
Provided Family Planning knowledge.
Neo-natal care ensured.
ARI & CDD case managed.
Counseling of infertile couple.
Provided counseling on RTI/STD/HIV/AIDS
Installed Bill-Board on BCC related issues.
Provided limited curative care by Paramedics
Communicable disease control.
Provided education on BCC related issues.
Provided education to women for controlled over resources
Provided education to mothers on maternal nutrition health.
Conduct 5 exit interview by project period.
Conduct 3 client survey by project period.
Establish satellite clinic by SRIZONY and satellite clinic merged with GOB EPI season
Assist satellite clinic established by GOB FWV
Increased referral services
Assist. FP clinical camp, NID & Vit. ‘A’ camp and other joint public activities
New-natal care managed
Maintain ARI & CDD cases
Increase EPI coverage.
Refer complicated EPI cases
Assist GOB health camps
TT 2nd coverage to pregnant mothers.
Increase safe delivery by qualified personnel
Arrange district level workshop
Arrange joint monitoring with GOB upazila level staffs
Arrange joint monitoring with GOB union level staffs
Arrange joint planning meeting at union level
Arrange joint planning meeting with school teachers
Collect details list of all referral center.
Ensure logistic management
Attend Govt., Unions, Upazila and District level meeting in each month
Observed World Health day, World Population day and World AIDS day
Arrange workshops with union porishad chairman and members including female members.
Attend Union porishad level meeting
Meetings with village health committee.
Arrange workshops with village Health practitioner.
Complete QoC related activities
Completed CBCL related activities
Strategies plan review
Staff development plan prepare
Supervision and monitoring training to staff
Management Development Training
Clinical management training
Staff in-service training
Procure, medicine, surgical equipment, computer, furniture
Ensure cost recovery by sales of medicine, service charge from contraceptives, ANC,PNC,GM .
Developed reporting format, monitoring tools, supervision, checklist and revised of previous.
Second Urban Primary Health Care Project (UPHCP-II):
Since July 2006, Srizony Foundation has implemented this project “Second Urban Primary Health Care Project (UPHCP-II)” in the Municipality Area of Sirajgonj district town by the partnership of Local Government Division, Ministry of Local Government Rural Development and Cooperatives. 3 PHCC, 1 Eye Care Center, 1 STD/AIDs Center and 1 CRHCC clinics have been established. with a view to ensure health services for the poorest community especially women and children. Qualified and skilled MBBS Doctors, Specialists, Lab Technician, Nurses and a set of supporting staffs are involved to provide quality services to the patients through the clinics.
Major components of the projects are:
– Reproductive health care;
– Child health care;
– Communicable disease control;
– Limited curative care;
– Behaviour change communication;
– Assistance to women who are victims of violence;
– Primary eye care services;
– HIV/AIDS, STI & ITI related activities;
- The following services have been providing through the UPHCP-II project:
- Reproductive Health
- Antenatal Care
- Register pregnant women
- Obtain antenatal history
- TT vaccination
- Supplement with Fe/Folate
- Counsel women and husband / family on Nutrition, care (rest) danger sign, clean delivery, Trained birth assistance, delivery planning, Preparation for possible emergency, breast feeding, and Contraception
- Antenatal care (check weight, height, eyes, blood pressure, edema, urine sample, blood sample)
- Detect early, refer promptly women with danger signs/ complications severe anemia
- Provide supplementary nutrition to severely malnourished pregnant women
- Mobilize community to arrange transportation, blood donors for obstetric emergencies, (blood will be supplied to EOC referral locations for screening prior to possible use)
- Conduct clean and safe delivery by trained personnel
- Supplement lactating mother with Vitamin A
- Detect early and refer promptly women with Danger signs or complications
- Counsel women/family on diet, danger signs (mother & infant ), infant feeding, family planning, immunization
- Detect early and refer promptly women with danger signs/complications
- Counsel women/family on diet, hygiene, cord care, danger signs (mother and newborn), infant feeding, family planning, immunization
- Health education for mothers on cleanliness care for the newborn ( prevent hypothermia, initiate exclusive breastfeeding)
Menstrual Regulation (MR) and Post Abortion
- Encourage use of FP methods
- Provide contraceptive supplies
- Detect complications and refer promptly
- Provide MR in limited number of PHCs on medical grounds only
- Counsel/create awareness of sexuality, safe sex, menstruation, special nutritional and hygiene related needs to girls
- Counsel young men on gender issues and proper respect for women
- Identify and treat anemia in girls
- TT promotion amongst adolescent girls
- Counsel on appropriate method
- Provide contraceptive supplies- pills, condoms, injectables, IUDs (in limited number of HCs).
- Refer clients for other methods (sterilization, IUD, MR, Norplant)
- Treat/refer for side effects and complications
- Management and Prevention/ Control of STIs, RTIs & HIV/AIDS
- Establish VCT centre (one per PA)
- Counsel on HIV/AIDS, STIs
- Education information on STI/HIV/AIDS & related Infertility
- Supply condoms
- Refer for complaints of vaginal discharge, lower abdominal pain, genital ulcers, swellings in groin in men
- Follow syndromic approach
- Partner management
- Child Health
- Mobilize caretakers to have their children fully immunized by 12 months of age
- Conduct immunization sessions (DPT, BCG, measles, Polio, Hep-B Vaccine)
- Surveillance and notification including acute flaccid Paralysis, measles and neo-natal tetanus
- Treat pneumonia with oral antibiotics
- Advise caretaker on correct home care
- Detect, manage and refer severe cases
- Detect, manage and refer severe cases with “danger signs”
- Advise caretaker on correct home care (fluids, feeding, referral)
- Advise caretaker on prevention
- Detect, manage and refer severe/complicated cases
- Counsel pregnant & lactating women (+husband/ Family) on diet.
- Promote (& support) exclusive breastfeeding, Correct weaning, and child feeding practices
- Promote health and caring practices that prevent Malnutrition
- Provide elements such as GMP targeted supplementation based on the experience of nutrition intervention projects, detection & referral of severe cases of malnutrition
- De-worm (targeted) high-risk children
- Vit A for postpartum lactating women and children
- Detect and manage children with night blindness & Refer other cases, supplement sick children
- Monitor availability of iodized salt
- Promote the consumption of iodized salt
- Detect and refer to suspected iodine deficiency cases
- Iron Deficiency (Anemia)
III. Communicable Disease Control
- Detect and refer suspect cases (at clinic level)
- Support and promote DOTS
- Advise patients/families/close contacts on TB Symptoms and treatment compliance
- Defaulter tracing
- Promote the self-reporting of patients
- Detect and refer to suspect cases
- Advise patient/families/close contacts on leprosy symptoms and treatment compliance
- Carry out follow-up and default tracing
- Hh contact examination
- Promote the self-reporting of patients
- Provide multidrug therapy delivery
- Limited Curative Care
Provide Basic First Aid
- Common injuries (cut, burn, fracture, etc)
- Treat Medical Emergencies – Management and Referral of
- Pain, high fever, shock, asphyxia, poisoning, near-drowning
- Asthma, eye diseases, dental diseases, ear diseases
- Another incidence of emergencies
Behavior Change Communication
- Cross-cutting all items categories above
- Personal hygiene, hand washing
- Assistance to women who are victims of violence
- Identify and register cases, provide medical care
- Refer victims for legal assistance, counseling and Crisis management
- Provide psychological support
- Application of rape investigation kit
- Increase community awareness
VII. Primary Eye Care Services
- Integrated Food and Nutrition Project (IFNP):
By the technical and financial support of CARITAS-NEERLANDICA later on CORDAID, Srizony Foundation has been implementing Food Security and Nutrition Improvement program since Nov, 1995.This project have been implementing in 20 villages of 2 unions at Harinakundu upazila in Jhenaidah district. Up to June, 2000, Srizony Foundation implemented this project among its group members who are able to pay installment credit duly and exempted the hardcore poor due to not worthy for credit program. From July 2001 Srizony Foundation initiated hardcore poor in the nutrition program. Learning from hardcore poor initiatives, Srizony Foundation has been designed the project titled; Integrated Food and Nutrition Project (IFNP) for the period from July,2001 to June,2004 with view to improve food security condition and nutritional status of the targeted hardcore poor.
3.1 Objectives of the project are:
Availability of food for the targeted people;
Improved food for the families;
Targeted families improved stability of food;
Access food for the targeted families;
Rehabilitation support for the disable people;
Reduced bad health practices, changed community attitude, service taken from qualified persons,
Prevalence of disease reduced by the project period
3.2 Major activities of the Project:
Food aid /supplements for disabled, malnourished mother and child
Food preservation methodology preparation
Avail food storage facilities by federation or groups
Ensure market linkage for group members
Preservation of food and seeds
Formation of hardcore group
Maintaining of hardcore group
Maintaining of old IGA group
Graduation of old IGA group
Loan distribution among hardcore group
Loan distribution among old IGA groups
Education on control of household expenditure and non food items
Provide training on leadership
Provide education on nutrition needs to each individual family members
Stimulating family to distribute food on gender, age and disable aspect
Workload reduce to pregnant and lactating mothers
Education on health and hygienic issues
Education on prevention of illness
EPI (measles) coverage
Provide education on ARI & CDD
Covered growth monitoring & card distribution among U5 child.
Provide treatment and medicine to malnourished mother and children
Provide antehelmentic to U6 child
Coverage TT to pregnant mother
Established satellite clinic
ANC to pregnant mothers
Safe delivery coverage
Birth weight for new born
Sanitary latrine coverage
Use safe water for all domestic purposes
Wash both hands before eating and after defecation
Stimulating breast feeding to child
Improved weaning food to U5, pregnant and lactating mothers
Food habit changes for households
Provide education on food processing method
Training on skill development of disable people
Provide community based PRT to disable
Provide appropriate tools technology support to the disable
Refer disable for better treatment
Group and union federation formation in the new area .
Conduct meeting with federations
Arrange folksong on nutrition and health issues at schools and bazaar
Arrange adolescent camps on health and hygienic issues
Installation billboard on nutrition and health issues
Arrange nutrition fare and nutrition day observation
Published poster, flipchart, calendar on nutrition issues
Arrange workshop with staffs.
- Srizony Hospital Program:
In 1995, Srizony Foundation has established a Hospital with the capacity of 15 beds at the heart of Jhenidah town. This hospital provides low cost health facilities with a view to provide all types of health services among the poor women men and children of the town and its adjacent villages. Qualified and skilled MBBS Doctors, Nurses and a set of supporting staff are providing quality services to the patients. Both indoor and outdoor services are provided through the Hospital. In the case of the indoor patients, the medical charges are comparatively less than other clinics of Jhenidah.
Community Clinic Project:
Srizony Foundation have been implementing Ghorshal Community Clinic pilot project since 15th March 2003 by the technical and financial assistance of BPHC Public NGO Partnership / PHD. This project is covered with the total of 5 villages of Ghorshal Union under Jhenidah Sadar Upazila. Through this Community Clinic (C.C.), Primary Health Care (PHC), Ante-natal Care (ANC) and Post-natal Care (PNC), Routine Immunization, growth monitoring and screening, personal hygiene, Reproductive Health (RH) Care, and education on STDs HIV/AIDS etc services are provided to the women, men and children of targeted families of the eligible couples by MBBS doctors and Paramedics and one FHV. The Community Clinic is still running even after completion of funding supports and technical assistance from the donor.
HIV/AIDS Prevention Program:
In 1994, Srizony Foundation initiated this project with its own resource fund through the integrated approach with various projects i.e. health, family planning, nutrition, sanitation & hospital with a view to make aware about danger & health hazard of HIV/AIDS. The awareness raising activity is taken place among its beneficiaries (family planning acceptor, eligible couple & adolescents) group members & community people to prevent the transmission of the deadly disease.
A team of trained & experienced staff are involved in implementing the project activities through motivation, counseling, awareness training, meeting & campaign. Mentionable here that Srizony Foundation is the active member of National STD, HIV/AIDS Network, HASAB & VHSS in Bangladesh. To create the awareness among the target population, Srizony Foundation has developed BCC materials on HIV/AIDS issues as per the guideline of National AIDS/ STD Program (NASP) in collaboration with HIV/AIDS network.
Nutrition Surveillance Project (NSP):
With the financial support and technical assistance of Helen Keller International (HKI), Srizony Foundation started this project since 1997 with the aim to reduce malnutrition among women and children and know the status of the targeted women and children in the area. The component of this project is: Growth monitoring of under 5 children, information collection of mothers and families related to family expenditure on nutrition and health issues.
The aim of the project is to reduce malnutrition among the mothers and children through collection data, supplementation of Vit-A capsules and supply necessary medicine. The coverage of NSP activities are given below:
|Name of Upazila||No. of union||Data Collection (Household)||Women|
- Safe Water and Sanitation Program:
In Bangladesh about 80 percent of all diseases are considered water-borne. In this context, Srizony Foundation provides software support interns of social mobilization and motivation on health issues and hardware support like Tube wells and sanitary latrine sets to the target people. Srizony Foundation has been involved in water and sanitation program since 1994. A total number of 6764 latrine sets have been produced and distributed among the target group beneficiaries.
8.1 Safe Water Supply Program:
From the beginning 38 tube-wells were installed in 38 villages which benefited 3000 families of different villages. NGO forum for DWSS provides support for this program. Srizony Foundation distributed the tube-wells in free of cost.
8.2 Arsenic Mitigation Project:
By the support from MISEREOR through NGO Forum for Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation (NGO Forum for DWSS), Dhaka. Srizony Foundation have been implementing this project since 2002 at 110 villages of 9 union under Jhenidah Sadar Upazila. Targeted people have been known about deadly disease Arsenicosis and adapted to prevent and cure from the disease. Alternative measures against arsenic have also been introduced (like AIRP, Dug well) in the contaminated areas. The total 67200 number of beneficiaries of this project are oriented about arsenic. The beneficiaries have also well understanding how to take preventive measures against arsenic contamination.
|No. of villages||Activity|
|Tube-well water test||Court yard meeting||School program||Community meeting||Mosque based discussion||Street drama||No. of house survey|
- Sanitation Development Program:
9.1 Production and Supply of Sanitary Latrines.
Srizony Foundation has set-up 2 main village sanitation centre (VHC) and 4 sub centres in order to produce and supply low-cost hygienic latrine sets for the target people. One set of latrine is comprised of one slub and 2-4 rings. NGO Forum for DWSS has provided financial and technical support to establish the main VSCs.
The program is contributing significantly to improve the sanitation situation in the working area and redacting the risk of water borne diseases.
9.2 Sanitation Promotion Program:
Srizony Foundation has started sanitation promotion activities through 90 secondary school in 6 upazilas of Jhenaidah districts by the technical and financial support of UNICEF through deputy Commissioner of Jhenaidah Districts since December 1998.
- Development Program for Disability:
Economic Empowerment of Disabled People:
Srizony Foundation initiated this project in 1998 with the financial assistance of National Disabled Development Foundation & Abilis Foundation. Srizony Foundation believes, without the development of the Person with Disability (PWD) while the community development is not possible. With a view to rehabilitate & change the situation of the person with disability in the society, a trained team & skilled staff has been working in this program. The project intervention has provided Primary Rehabilitation Therapy (PRT), Assistive Devices, Referral Services, and Credit Support for IGA as on their need. Through different activities running by Srizony Foundation have 421 disable people as incorporated through Community Approach on Handicapped and Disability (CAHD) activities. Resulting, this project attempts to-
- Change community attitude and behabiour towards disability;
- Empower Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) by enabling them in society;
- Transfer appropriate knowledge to the community;
- Develop appropriate rehabilitation.
The details of the project activities are given in the below table:
|Name of District||Name of Upazila||No. of Villages||Total Nos. of PWDs||Activities Performed|
|Jhenaidah||Sadar & Harinakundu||19||423||168||54||37||20|